Sunday, November 22, 2009

The Night of Lights Holiday Parade



























Danville:
My home town growing up is Danville, Illinois, and I had the privilege of being a part of the Night of Lights Parade in Danville this Thursday evening. The rain held up for a really nice event! It was good to come home and be a part of the a week long holiday opening!







As it turns out I also got to see all the fanfare for the Danville Vikings, my High School football team, as they are 12 and 0, and were playing in the semi-finals Saturday! Go Vikings!!!




Special thanks to Dee Lane, Mrs. Illinois America 1992, for providing my parade car, driving, and taking me in for the extended weekend I had as part of the parade, as well as a visit to the Veteran's Hospital in Danville the day after (her pancakes are awesome, by the way! It's like being in the most fancy Bed and Breakfast ever! My "room" - I should call SUITE - I stayed in with her is beyond beautiful, and she treated me like a true queen!) I am indebted to the goodness of many of my Mrs Illinois "sisters" as they continuously give and provide...God Bless you!!! I will have photos from the VA visit soon! Also special thanks to Karen McGinnis of Downtown Danville for arranging the parade entry and being so accommodating and helpful!



The photo in front of the Veteran's War Memorial is especially important to me because my grandfathers were Army vets, my Father-in-law is a Marine, and I was there for the actual dedication of this memorial when I was Miss Vermilion County AFL-CIO (Miss America Organization). Getting to be back there again was incredibly sweet!


PS - that dog had a lighted up outfit, and apparently is a part of the parade every year as a "reindeer"...too cute!

2 comments:

  1. You have to be kidding me, you were in Danville! Boo you for not telling me..i am only like an hour from there. Would have loved to of seen you while you were this way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry, Misty. Fam and I've been sick the last couple weeks (gotta love the flu), and I've not thought too much past what's coming up next for some things. I didn't mean to miss you! I will let you know when I will be back next time! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete