Friday, March 19, 2010

Mister Rogers Neighborhood


Remember Mr. Rogers? "It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood, a beautiful day for a neighbor...would you be mine, could you be mine..."


Saturday, March 20th, is Mr. Roger's birthday, and had he been alive today he would have celebrated his 82nd birthday. I remember having a phone conversation with my dear friend, Jeana, and the two of us literally crying that Mr. Rogers was gone the day we found out he had passed away...her daughters way too young to remember much, and mine...well, mine will never see it unless I buy videos. I am seriously considering it...


I guess I am now opening up on giving out how old I really am, considering I grew up on Mr. Rogers, so yes, I am "old" according to some. But I won't forget Mr. Rogers and his sweaters, his changing of shoes - flipping them in the air as he did to come and go - and his constant attitude of accepting others, loving others, and being kind to others.


So I share what has been going on in Pittsburgh for some time, and is slowly reaching others...and hopefully the nation...in what has grown from "Sweater Day" in remembrance of him, to a national day of volunteerism. It began in partnership with the United Way of Allegheny County where the show "Mr. Rogers" was made, but as they say in Allegheny, "You have to start small. Fred would want that to happen. He wanted to help others."


Even the smallest things, like returning a shopping cart to the store, to opening a door for someone, to working with any facility in need...it is an effort in love and in giving. It only takes a little bit, but a little bit goes a long way.


You don't need a title to do for others. It does open doors, it does aid in a lot. But it does not ever make you the only person who can help and it never defines you. So crown or not...crown others in love and service. Will I be posting what I do for others tomorrow? No. Actually, I am choosing not to for the sake of this not being about me, or about being Mrs. Illinois, but rather that I draw attention to the needs of others out there, how much there is, and what we can all do.
Matthew 6:2 "So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. I tell you the truth they have received their reward in full"
There is nothing wrong with letting others know what you do for the sake of furthering a cause or getting others involved. Sometimes, though, it is good to remain silent about what we do, to show another side of ourselves and of service, focusing on the need rather than us and our works.
Please think about it being a beautiful day in your neighborhood and what you can do to make it so. Whatever it is...God bless!

3 comments:

  1. Love it, Girl. I still miss him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice to know others were touched in a positive way by such a simple show. I, too, "grew up" on Mr. Rogers. Just another reason I like you so much Anji!

    ReplyDelete