Sunday, October 4, 2009

Traveling to Southern Illinois
















This weekend kicked off the beginning of many of the activities that are part of the Southern Illinois Fall Festival in and around Mt. Vernon, Illinois.







I had the opportunity to help with and judge the first annual Miss Southern Illinois Festival Pageant that is directed by Dawn Heacock, one of the lovely ladies (inside AND out) who competed in the Mrs. Illinois America Pageant this year. She did a wonderful job putting together her very first pageant as a director, and I was proud of her for having a natural beauty contest (and they all were really beautiful!), as well as celebrating the USA with a red, white and blue theme. Southern Illinois Fall Festival this year is called Remembering 9/11, dedicated to and remembering all the first responders, in addition to recognizing hometown heroes in law enforcement and emergency services.




I also had the great privilege of visiting the Mt. Vernon Outland Airport and their first annual Midwest LSA Expo. Looking at all the planes both on the ground and in the air was really something (I might have to talk to those guys about flying down next time...that car ride is brutal!!! ;) )






A special thank you to Festival President Derrick Quitch for all your hard work putting everything together so well, and I wish you the very best in the weeks to come with all the rest of the festivities! To Dawn Heacock for thinking of me and allowing me the opportunity to work with her, as well as be a huge help in my traveling the entire state as Mrs. Illinois. She has a heart of gold and makes you feel like family the moment you meet her if you're lucky to get the chance. It was good to see each other again. Also special thanks to Misty Douglas and Penni Quitch, part of the judges panel who were also terrific to be around. Misty really worked amazingly at being Dawn's right hand, as well as both their husbands taking care of last minute details! To Brandon Bullard on the board at the Midwest LSA Expo, Mike Beard, and Chris Collins (Airport Manager), my deepest thanks for your generosity of your time during the Expo.



Southern Illinois is filled with gracious, friendly people who are ready to welcome you with open arms. They are warm, kind, genuine people that make me proud to call Illinois home! This was my first visit to Mt. Vernon, and I'm sure it won't be the last. My thanks again to Dawn for her kindness and all her efforts. Bless you!


I'll have a a couple posts for photos. This one will include pageant highlights.

-Beautiful Dawn



-Overall Winner



-Southern Illinois Festival Queens



-Judges Table and Auditor



-My new buddies...these gentleman come to the mall every morning for coffee and company. It made me think of my grandpa and how he would go into to town to visit and have coffee and Kolache. My buddy Bill (in the center) is 93!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment